Sunday, September 23, 2007

Design Changes


I took the kayak out for it's first real test. We kayaked down the Middle Loup River for 5.5 hours. The first couple hours were spent getting used to the craft on the river. Then the kayak started feeling cramped and I started trying to adjust the exercise mat I was using as a seat pad. The last hour was pretty painful for my hind end and legs. Not too mention I was exhausted from paddling. I learned a lot about my kayak though and have some changes in mind.

There's too much rocker. Being able to maneuver is critical but just about every stroke with this kayak is a correction stroke. By the end of the day I was worn out mostly from just keeping the craft going strait. I'm going to try adding a skeg to see if that helps. The cockpit is way too cramped. I'm going to rip out the masik and put in a thinner laminated one to give more leg clearance. Also I think the foot beam needs moved farther toward the bow. I think those few changes should make the kayak more serviceable and enjoyable to use. Oh I need to add some type of thin seat pad that won't compress like the exercise mat. In general the next kayak I make for rivers will have more volume on both ends. The rivers in Nebraska are shallow and I'd like the kayak to ride a little higher in the water to get over the shallow sand bars.

No comments: